Total Pageviews

Friday 24 March 2017

Review Ruffles Bar – candolim Goa

If you are looking for English Pub Grub then Ruffles Bar is the place to go.
FIRST IMPRESSIONS
A clean, modern holiday restaurant with a charming outside eating area.
STAFF
All staff were well presented and friendly.  Our waiter Wilson was adorable.
Melanie the owner is charming. Although she doesn’t work the floor, she is more than aware of her business.
SERVICE
We had booked and chosen our table beforehand, however diners who had eaten earlier were still seated at our chosen table.  This wasn’t a problem, Wilson apologised and had reserved the next table.
Menus given right away.  
Having visited before just for drinks Wilson remembered our drinks order.
Drinks served quickly and efficiently.
After ordering food it took the customary 20 mins to arrive.
No table check was done during the meal, but asked when the plates were cleared.
During the night, we had to ask for drinks.
 

HYGIENE

Both restaurant and the outside eating area immaculate.

Toilets clean and fresh. Soap, toilet paper but no hand drying facilities.

  FOOD
 
 
 
BEEF STEAK & KIDNEY PIE – SERVED WITH CHIPS OR MASH POTAOES AND MUSHY PEAS
OR FRESH VEG RUPEES 340/£4.15/€4.82/₽298.47/$5.19
The pastry was top-notch. A nice golden top, fell apart in your mouth. A good sized portion.  The beef was tender packed with flavour. Although there was no pieces of kidney, there was a flavour in there. The gravy again, not too thick but not too thin, full of flavour.
I was assured that the pie was homemade by the chef.
 
 
 
BEEF FILLET STAEK – SERVED WITH CHIPS OR MASH POTATOES, SALAD AND PEPPER
SAUCE.  RUPEES 450/£5.49/€6.38/₽395.04/$6.88
Not far off an 8oz steak. I asked for a medium rare, it was perhaps a tad rarer than should be, but to be honest I normally like my steak cooked rare. The only reason I asked for med rare was as a tester to check the skills of the chef. Secondly I have to say I have had some very tuff, battered steak in Goa over the years, when asked for rare. However, on this night my steak had not been under the hammer! It was juicy and succulent just how I like it.
Chips. If you read my blog you know I have a few issues with the amount of chips I get with my meal. Well my friends, I have to say this wasn’t an issue here at Ruffles.
 
Pepper Sauce.   I expected a thick creamy sauce that stuck to my steak and chips. Instead I had a wishy washy, watery thin juice. It was passable, it didn’t affect the taste of my steak, just my expectations, after being given such a lovely steak.
Salad.  If you are familiar with my reviews, then you will know I am nothing but honest. I am sorry, but unfortunately the salad was a no go for me. Apart from it being chunky cabbage and onion, okay some slithers of tomato and green pepper, it not only looked like it had been left out all day under a hot light, it tasted like it too. My grudge here is I am being given a well- cooked piece of meat and all it takes is to give me some proper lettuce. Slice up an onion, grate a bit of carrot over the top and put a grilled tomato on the side.  If you can’t give a proper side salad then please I beg you don’t spoil the meal by offering something that is substandard. Maybe, some battered or breaded onions rings & grilled tomato would have been better.
THE SCORES:
FIRST IMPRESSIONS 5/5
AMBIENCE 5/5
STAFF 5/5
SERVICE 4/5
HYGIENE 4/5
FOOD  Steak & Kidney Pie 5/5 Fillet Steak 3.5/5
OVERALL
 
 
4.5 Red Hot chillies 
WOULD I GO AGAIN?
Defiantly.
With entertainment on every night, and good food this is a perfect place for any European holiday maker to relax at after a day on the beach. If I had one fault not that it bothers me but for a tourist, there is no Wi-Fi.
Fort Aguada Road, Opp. State Bank of India Candolim
CALL US (9am - 9pm)
+91-8380072662
+91-8380082662
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment