Total Pageviews

Friday 10 March 2017

Restaurant Review of Eden – Candolim Goa Guten appetit!


This restaurant has something for everyone. Tandoori dishes, Goan cuisine, however the highlight for me has to be their German cuisine.



FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Set back off the road, opposite club SinQ at Candolim, Eden sits nestled in a beautiful garden setting adorned with trees.

Contemporary, fresh and clean. Throw in a few olive and lemons tress and it almost felt it like a Greek Taverna.

STAFF
Let’s just say they did their job. They seemed very reluctant to engage in conversation. I am not sure if this was because they felt unconfident interacting with European guests. Maybe they were new to the job, or that this was how the owner expected them to perform.   
However, the chefs Roshan and Yohla were completely the opposite. What a wonderful, fun loving couple and amazing chefs they are too.
SERVICE
Having popped in just for a drink the week before, we booked our table.  On the recommendation from Roshan, at the same time we ordered two of their specials that need 24hrs notice.
I must be perfectly honest, I wasn’t expecting either the table or the food when I arrived. I went with the stance that if it didn't happen, I would just order off the menu.
Arriving our table had been reserved.
A drinks menu was given and our order taken as we sat.
While the waiter went off for the drinks another waiter came with food menus.
Saying we had ordered two specials, there was a little hiatus as he explained we had to order the day before. Informing him we had he ran off to the kitchen.  At which time our drinks were served.
 Yohla, came running to our table saying Roshan had prepared our meal, there would be a little wait due to other tables ordering.
This was not a problem, as we wanted to relax, take in the surroundings and listen to Elvis the musician for a while.
Food was served within 25 minutes of ordering.
Although a table check was not done by the waiter, Roshan himself came to our table.
HYGIENE
Impeccable. This season I have been to some good toilets, but Eden’s! Boy oh boy they are the best. We are talking luxury, show home standard.
FOOD
 
 
 
ROULADEN -   Mustard, pork fat and onions, rolled in a large slice of beef – served with salted potatoes and veg Rupees 350/ £4.31/₽311.44/€4.96/$5.25  {ORDER ONE DAY IN ADVANCE}
What can I say, other than, OMG.  Pork, mustard and onions go together is like strawberries and cream. Wrap them up in beef and you have four of my favourite elements. A marriage in heaven. Then with that gravy, thick and so full of flavour, it made you want to lick the plate clean.
If I had one fault with the meal, I was a tad disappointed that the menu said veg and all I got was green beans. I will be honest, I am not a connoisseur of German food, so this may be how it is served. With or without extra veg this dish was excellent.
 
 
KOHLROULADEN – Beef mince wrapped in cabbage leaves with gravy and salted potatoes. Rupees 250/£3.08/₽222.61/€3.54/$3.75 {ORDER ONE DAY IN ADVANCE}
So simple yet full of flavour. Lip smackingly lovely.  I have to point out here that Roshan mince’s his own beef. Kudos to you, you can taste the difference. Once again the gravy was to die for. I would advise anyone to order another dish. Not that it wasn’t good, but as it stood as a main on its own I would suggest a side order.
 
Roshan’s Homemade Coffee Cream Liqueur – SMALL-  Rupees 80/£0.98/₽71.29/€1.13/$1.20  LARGE - Rupees 150/£1.85/₽133.67/€2.12/$2.25  
I have only one word to describe this velvety, decedent tipple. Addictive. It took me back to Christmas’s with my family many years ago, when on Christmas night, my Uncle Stan would crack open his bottles of homemade cream liqueur.
 
THE SCORES:
FIRST IMPRESSIONS 5/5
AMBIENCE 5/5
STAFF 3/5
SERVICE 5/5
HYGIENE 5/5
FOOD 5/5   5/5  5/5 
 
 
OVERALL SCORE 4.75 Red Hot chillies  
WOULD I GO AGAIN?
That would be 100% yes. And so must you. As this little out of the way restaurant, chef’s Roshan and Yhola are definitely not getting the paybacks they deserve. And there is more…
LIVE ENTERTAINMENT
Tuesday Night Elvis Charles Rumion
Wednesday Night Elvis Oleg Kasper
Thursday Night  Namana
 PHONE 077220 98912
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment