Total Pageviews

Saturday 20 July 2019

MOREISH MONSOON TREATS- Jo’s Cumin and Coriander Cheese Scones.


I was actually going to make a batch of herb scones for tea today, when I realised I’d forgotten to buy mixed herbs. It was then inspiration struck. At Christmas I bought some cumin biscuits to accompany the other crackers for my cheese board. The combination worked well, so I thought what the heck, let’s try it. The addition of the fresh coriander, came while I was weighing out my ingredients.


Jo’s Cumin, Coriander and Cheese Scones
Makes 8
Get what you need
225g plain flour      ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda      ½ tsp salt      40g margarine      2tsp cumin seeds      2 tbsp fresh chopped coriander      75g grated cheese      150ml milk      ½ tsp lemon juice      1tbsp tomato puree      milk for brushing
NOW COOK!
1.     Preheat oven to 200 C/gas 6/400 F
2.     Put the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt in a bowl, and rub in the margarine until it resembles breadcrumbs.
3.     Mix in the cumin seeds and fresh coriander, and half the cheese.
4.     In a jug or bowl, combine the milk, lemon juice and tomato puree.
5.     Pour over the flour mixture and mix to form a firm dough.
6.     Roll out to approx. 2cm thickness, and with a 5cm pastry cutter cut out round in the dough. Repeat with left over dough.
7.     Place scones on a baking sheet, lightly brush with milk, and sprinkle remaining cheese over the top of each.
8.     Bake for 20 minutes, or until well risen and springy.

I served these with peppery cream cheese and a sprinkling of dried chilli flakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment