Total Pageviews

Monday 10 April 2017

The Night Mama Monica invited me for Dinner.


In a previous blog I refereed to Monica’s Restaurant as- A unique restaurant, a true expression of Goan warmth and amazing home cooked food, owned by Menetta, daughter to the legendary beach shack owner of twenty years Monica.  So imagine how humbled I was to be invited back to share a traditional Goan family meal, cooked by Mama Monica herself.
 
 
Chicken Stuffed Papad Cooked shredded chicken seasoned a fruity masala, then rolled in papad (poppadum) and deep fried.  A yummy snack or starter.
 
 
Chicken Xacuti Pronounced “sha-kooti”) is a classic dish from Goa.  Xacuti originated from the Portuguese word “Chacuti.”  Although the Portuguese Chacuti is brownish in colour compared to the red Goan Xacuti, as you can see by the picture, Mama Monica has cooked here the traditional brown Chacuti.
So what is Xacuti? Basically, the masala marinate, of: Kashmiri Chillies, Coconut, Clove Haldi Powder, Pepper Corns Jeera Methi Seeds Flakes Garlic, Ginger, Cinnamon, Khus Khus, Coriander, Til and Onion.
The chicken is then cooked in the marinate with potatoes a dash of Nutmeg Powder and Small Bits of Coconut.
 
I loved the combination of chicken and potatoes. The flavours were pleasing on the palate, not at all spicy. The chicken was so juicy and tender, it melted in the mouth.  I can absolutely see this dish on the Rawson table in the future.  I would like to adapt it to an Anglo –Goan stew, by omitting the potatoes and adding more veg, serving it with mashed potatoes or chips.
Prawn and Lady Finger Caldin.
Caldine Curry is a yellow non spicy Goan curry, usually made with fish, but like mama Monica, some people make it with prawns as well as vegetables, and I wasn’t complaining.
The Caldine gravy sauce is an assortment of: Coconut, Cumin Seeds, Pepper Corns, Coriander Seeds, Turmeric, Garlic and Tamarind.
Once the gravy sauce is made, Onion, Tomato, Ginger, Green Chillies, Salt and Vinegar are added before the prawns and the lady fingers, (Okra)
What can I say, prawns and okra and yellow curry sauce, three elements I love.  Mama Monica, excelled herself on this dish. This will definitely be on the Rawson table in the future.
 
Prawns Recheado
A spicy, hot, tangy, reddish-orange Goan masala, comprising of : Red Kashmiri chilies, ginger, garlic, pepper corn, cumin seed, turmeric powder, cloves, green cardamom, sugar, tamarind and coconut vinegar, used mainly for fish.
I have had this dish before and absolutely loved it.  The prawns were deshelled and tossed in the sauce.
Mama Monica on the other hand coated the shells with this to die for masala.  So after sucking off the masala, then breaking off the shell and putting the prawn in your mouth, the combination of the meaty, juicy, delicate prawn, balanced out the spicy masala. This dish was beautiful.
 
Beef Chilli
Both MR R and I love this dish. It’s the equivalent to English using up the leftovers of a Sunday roast beef, with chips/ fried potatoes and pickles.  Or, for my older followers, who can recall their Grandmother’s refereeing to it as a “washday day dinner.”  So not unlike us, beef chilli can be served stuffed in Goan bread – poee, with a chapatti or chips, or as a starter in restaurants.
I really can’t say what a tradition beef chilli taste like, as MR R and I have had so many different varieties of spiciness and accompaniments to this dish. Nevertheless, what I can say is Mama Monica’s beef chilli is up there in our top three. Packed with peppery flavour and succulent strips of beef.
 
 
Pilau Rice cooked in a seasoned broth. The best I have ever had it just melted in your mouth.
 
 
 
 
What can I say, a truly amazing night that I will cherish forevermore. In all my years in Goa I can’t say I have met a family or even one person who are genuinely caring, generous, kind and humble.
 To Mama Monica, Menetta and the rest of the family, I feel privileged to have met you all and eaten your amazing food.  Joanne and Mr R xxxx
 
 
 
MONICA”S RESTAURANT AND BAR
 
 BEFORE KINGFISHER VILLA DANDO CANDOLIM BARDEZ  GOA
  098221 42212
  Hours 18:30 - 11:30
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment