Total Pageviews

Sunday 27 November 2016

Review for The Shack Restrobar – Candolim Goa



The Shack Restrobar has been on my review list for a while.  Seeing, as Friday was my birthday, I decided to kill two birds with one stone. So how did my visit go?
FIRST IMPRESSIONS
I have to say that the chic, trendy surroundings were somewhat impressive, clean, tidy and well presented. 

STAFF
The staff were friendly. However, for such a contemporary atmosphere they lacked the pizazz and confidence for the ambiance, seeming more suited for a simple eatery. 
SERVICE
On entering there were a few tables eating and drinking and staff milling around the bar so we seated ourselves. We then had to attract the attention of a waiter for drinks and thereafter during the night.
Drinks served quickly, but we had to ask for ice, even though MR. R and I had both requested ice on ordering.
Food served within thirty minutes, which is acceptable when ordering tandoori.
We did get a table check back, something I rarely get in Goa.

HYGIENE
The cleanliness of the restaurant was impeccable.
The kitchen and tandoori looked hygienic, however for an establishment of this class in trying to be contemporary and refined, I would have expected the chefs to wear white’s and chef hats rather than jeans and a polo shirt, even a cap and an apron would have be adequate. Not only does it look professional it’s a basic food and hygiene requirement.  
Toilets were not only clean but smelt fresh and had soap and toilet paper. I was however unimpressed to find no paper towels just a hand towel in the toilets.
FOOD






Tandoor Chicken was excellent. Good size portion of chicken, well dressed fresh slaw and a good flavoured spicy dip. At 250 rupees/  £2.92/ $3.65/ Euro 3.44/Ruble 236.80  well worth the money.






Camarones Fritos
The menu said I would get, eight butterflied and breaded golden fried prawns, served with a spicy salsa and fresh green salad and Arrol Spanish garlic pilaf rice. 350 rupees. £4.09/ $5.01/Euro 4.82/Ruble 332.52
What looked like eight, skinny onion rings arrived on my plate that sadly, the prawns had been flattened so much they were paper thin and then fried until they had been cremated; making them chewy and flavourless. The spicy salsa lacked the spicy punch I was expecting of an explosion of coriander, and chilli, with a hint of lime.  In my book, three slices of cucumber and a lettuce leaf is not considered a green salad more a garnish. The garlic pilaf was just boiled rice. There was a ramekin of mayo, but personally, I would have much preferred a sour cream to complement the salsa had it have been spicy.
When I look at a menu, I expect to get what I read. Now is this the mistake of the restaurant owner trying to be clever using foreign cookery descriptions to impress? On the other hand, is it that the chefs lack of culinary skills and knowledge to delivery? Whatever, even if the menu had said, golden fried prawns, with boiled rice and a salad garnish the prawns still to me would have been unsatisfactory.
THE SCORES:
FIRST IMPRESSIONS 5/5
AMBIENCE 5/5
STAFF 3/5
SERVICE 3/5
HYGIENE 4/5
FOOD 5/5 & 1/5
OVERALL 
3 Red Hot chillies  

WOULD I GO AGAIN?
In spite of being disappointed with my meal, I had a very enjoyable evening.  I loved the ambiance of The Shack even though there were a few chink’s but nothing that would put me off returning.  
 

THE SHACK RESTROBAR
Telephone  098812 18148




No comments:

Post a Comment